Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Father's Teaching


Mike Hosey, Elder

I've been a father for 17 years, and in that time I've done some teaching -- occasionally on purpose.

Here's an "on-purpose" moment. When my daughter, Emily, was six, she began cutting her hair.  She did this twice in two months. The second time, she removed a cereal bowl's worth.

So my wife threatened tangible punishment. Then one afternoon, while her mother was out, and after her hair had grown back, I found her cutting her bangs. 

"What are you doing?" I firmly asked.  "I'm cutting my hair," she sweetly replied. 

"Didn't your mother tell you not to do that?" I questioned. 

"Don't tell her," she said nervously.

"Honey, I don't think I'm gonna have to. I think she'll figure it out."

"Ok Daddy, but just don't tell her," she implored. 

"Don't do it again," I decreed without promises.

She played until her mother returned. When she heard the front door open, she scrammed to her room and closed her door with a muffled thump. Later, I noticed her hiding and watching us.

"What's up sweety?" I asked.

She whispered, "Come to my room with me." 

I followed.

"I need to find something to put on my forehead. I need something that will make my hair look like eyebrows," she said with a distraught flurry of hand motions.

It took a lot not to laugh!

"Have you tried a hat?" I asked. 

"I don't have any hats," came the quivering reply. 

"Well, I don't think a hat will help anyway, honey," I said in all honesty. 

"Should I just tell her?" She asked. 

"I think you should."

She did. Punishment was administered. 

She came to me crying. "What's wrong, honey?" I asked. 

"I told the truth, and she punished me anyway!" 

I explained that had she lied, she'd have gotten doubly punished, and that its best to just fess up and take your licks.

Thankfully, she understood.

But I must admit that most of my teaching has been by unintentional example. Some of it good. A lot of it bad. I can tell you from experience that the example stuff sticks better!

No comments:

Post a Comment