Monday, March 18, 2013

Jesus In My Nightmares by Mike Hosey

Mike Hosey, Elder
Since my teen years I have suffered from two recurring nightmares.  Thankfully,  their frequency has diminished considerably over the years.

While the frequency of those moments has waned, their intensity has not. 
Both are frightening, but different.  

The intensity of one of those dreams is fierce enough to ignite in me a spirit of fear and retreat. In the past, it wasn't uncommon for my wife to awaken me from the throes and cries of that demonic dream out of concern for me. 

And demonic it is!  A demon always haunts the dream. Usually, I cannot see it.  I can only hear it or feel its presence. In the few times when I do see it, I can only perceive a human-like form. I can't distinguish facial features or expressions. It's just a black darkness absorbing all light.  And its voice is . . .  well . . . I don't know how to describe it, other than to say that it evokes terror. Every time.

But starting a few years ago, I began to saturate my mind through reading, fasting and prayer with the Word of God. And when the demon would come to my dream, the name of Jesus (because I had put His name in my head and heart) would issue from my trembling mouth. And while it was never instantaneous or easy, the demon would retreat or fade away at that name. 


Recently the demon troubled my dream again, and he called for one of my children. My flesh trembled, but my heart did not. I advanced with boldness against the evil in my dream -- not simply because it threatened someone I love, but because I have realized that I am a child of the most powerful Father in the universe (Galatians 4:6-7). And that He has not given me a Spirit of fear, but of power (2 Tim 1:7).  And that I can put on Jesus Christ (Romans 13:14) and refuse the desires of my trembling flesh.  And that the word of Christ can dwell richly in someone as flawed as me (Colossians 3:16) -- even in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment